Big Data and Self-organization for Mobile Networks
We deal in this research line with the open challenges related with the autonomic management of future 5G networks, characterized by the coexistence of extremely dense and heterogeneous deployments, new architectural paradigms, such as CloudRAN or SoftRAN, new deployment approaches based on Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and Software-Defined Networking (SDN), which are being introduced to make mobile network deployments more cost-effective. We address the management through the well-established paradigm of Self-Organizing Networks. We propose novel solutions for self-configuration, self-optimization, self-healing and self-coordination, often taking advantage of the theoretical framework of Markov Decision Processes and Reinforcement Learning. We believe that Machine Learning in general offers a powerful tool to provide the network with the capability of learning from experience and self-adapting to the dynamics of the always varying wireless environment. In addition to this, we believe that the huge amount of measurement, control and management information, generated during normal operation of 4G/5G networks can be gathered for network management purposes in data centres. In this context, big data approaches represent a huge opportunity for mobile network operators from both business and network wide optimization perspectives.
- N. Baldo, L. Giupponi, J. Mangues, Big Data Empowered Self Organized Networks , in Proceedings of European Wireless 2014 (EW14), 14-16 May 2014, Barcelona (Spain).
- A. Imran, L. Giupponi, M. A. Imran, A. Abu-Dayya, Joint Coverage and Backhaul Self.optimization in Emerging Relay enhanced heterogeneous Networks , in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC 2014), 10-14 June 2014, Sydney (Australia).
- J. Moysen, L. Giupponi, A Reinforcement Learning based solution for Self-Healing in LTE networks, in proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (IEEE VTC Fall 2014), 14-17 September 2014, Vancouver, Canada.
A. Imran, L. Giupponi, M. A. Imran, A. Abu-Dayya, Joint Coverage and Backhaul Self.optimization in Emerging Relay enhanced heterogeneous Networks , in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC 2014), 10-14 June 2014, Sydney (Australia).
- J. Moysen, L. Giupponi, A Functional Architecture for Self-Coordination in LTE networks , European Wireless 2014 Barcelona-Spain, May 2014.
- B. Bojovic, N. Baldo, A new Channel and QoS Aware Scheduler to enhance the capacity of Voice over LTE systems , In Proceedings of 11th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices (SSD’14), Castelldefels, 11-14 February 2014, Castelldefels (Spain).
- A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, Self-organized Femtocells: a Fuzzy Q-Learning Approach , Wireless Networks, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 441-445, April 2014.
- B. Bojovic, N. Baldo, Giorgio Quer, Ramesh R. Rao, Bayesian and Neural Network Schemes for Call Admission Control in LTE systems , in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE Globecom 2013), 9-3 December 2013, Atlanda (USA)., December 2013.
- J. Núñez, J. Baranda, J. Mangues, Backpressure Routing for the Backhaul in Sparse Small Cell Deployments , in Proceedings of 32nd IEEE International Performance Computing and Communications Conference (IPCCC), 6-8 December 2013, San Diego, California (USA).
- J. Núñez, J. Mangues, J. Baranda, Anycast Backpressure Routing: Scalable mobile backhaul for dense small cell deployments , IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 17, pp. 2316 – 2319 , December 2013.
- J. Mangues, J. Ferragut, M. Requena, Distributed Location Management for Generalized HetNets. Case Study of All-Wireless Networks of Femtocells , Heterogeneous Cellular Networks, edited by R. Q. Hu and Y. Qian, published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Oxford, UK, April 2013
- P. Dini, M. Miozzo, N.Bui, N. Baldo, A Model to Analyze the Energy Savings of Base Station Sleep Mode in LTE HetNets , in Proceedings of IEEE GreenCom 2013, 20-23 August 2013, Beijing (China).
- A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, Self-organized Femto-to-Macro Interference Coordination with Partial Information , in Proceedings of 24th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2013), 8-11 September 2013, London (UK).
- D. Zhou, W. Song, N. Baldo, M. Miozzo, Evaluation of TCP Performance with LTE Downlink Schedulers in a Vehicular Environment , in Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (IWCMC 2013), June 2013, Cagliari, Sardinia (Italy).
- J. Ferragut, J. Mangues, J. Núñez, F. Zdarsky, Traffic and Mobility Management in Networks of Femtocells , ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications Journal, Special Issue on Cooperative and Networked Femtocells, Vol. 2012, pp. 662-673, August 2012.
- J. Ferragut, J. Mangues, A Self-Organized Tracking Area List Mechanism for Large-Scale Networks of Femtocells , in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2012), 10-15 June, 2012, Ottawa (Canada).
A. Galindo, E. Altman, L. Giupponi, Equilibrium Selection in Interference Management Non-Cooperative Games in Femtocell Networks , in Proc. of 6th International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools 2012, VALUETOOLS 2012, 9-12 October, Cargese, France.
A. Imran, M. Bennis, L. Giupponi, Use of Learning, Game Theory and Optimization as Biomimetic Approaches for Self-Organization in Macro-Femtocell Coexistence , in Proc. of 2012 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2012), 1-4 April 2012, Paris, France.
J. Núñez, J. Ferragut, J. Mangues, On Stateless Routing for an All-wireless Network of Femtocells. Implications in the 3GPP Architecture , in Proceedings of IEEE 73rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2011-Spring), Workshop on Broadband Femtocell Technologies, 15-18 May, 2011, Budapest (Hungary).
- A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, G. Auer, Distributed Learning in Multiuser OFDMA Femtocell Networks , in Proceedings of IEEE 73rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2011-Spring), 15-18 May 2011, Budapest (Hungary).
A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, G. Auer, Distributed Learning in Multiuser OFDMA Femtocell Networks , in Proceedings of IEEE 73rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2011-Spring), 15-18 May 2011, Budapest (Hungary).
A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, Downlink Femto-to-Macro Interference Management based on Fuzzy Q-Learning , in Proceedings of the Third IEEE International workshop on Indoor and Outdoor Femto Cells (IOFC’11), 13 May 2011, Princeton (USA).
A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, M. Majoral, On Implementation Requirements and Performances of Q-Learning for Self-Organized Femtocells , in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE Globecom 2011), second Workshop on Femtocell Networks (FEMnet), 5-9 December 2011, Houston, Texas, USA.
A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, Femtocell Systems with Self Organization Capabilities , in Proceedings of International Conference on NETwork Games, COntrol and OPtimization (NetGCooP 2011), Oct. 12-14, 2011, Paris, France.
M. Simsek, A. Czylwik, A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, Improved decentralized Q-learning algorithm for interference reduction in LTE-femtocells , in Proceedings ofn IEEE Wireless Advanced 2011, 20-22 June 2011, London, UK.
- A. Galindo-Serrano, L. Giupponi, M. Dohler, Cognition and Docition in OFDMA-Based Femtocell Networks , in Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference, (IEEE GLOBECOM 2010), 6-10 December 2010, Miami, Florida (USA).