ns-3 is the network simulator officially endorsed by the Mobile Networks department. Several members are actively involved in the development of ns-3 extensions, which are used to perform part of our research activity.
Our ns-3 contributions
The Mobile Networks (MONET) department of CTTC is very active in the participation to the
ns-3 development community.
Among the current and past most relevant tasks and contributions, we highlight:
- Maintainership of the following ns-3 modules
- wifi (until 2013)
- the development of the LTE module as part of the LENA project
- Mentorship of the following Google Summer of Code (GSoC) projects:
- GSoC 2010: MAC and PHY models for LTE (student: Giuseppe Piro)
- GSoC 2012: LTE Scheduling with the FemtoForum MAC Scheduler API (student: Dizhi Zhou)
- GSoC 2013: Improvements to UE Measurements in Active and Idle Mode for LTE Module (student: Budiarto Herman)
- development of backpressure-based routing protocols
- radiotap and prism header support for PCAP traces (now included in ns-3)
- development of the spectrum module
- Voice over IP application modules
- experimental validation of the ns-3 wifi model using the EXTREME testbed
- many enhancements and bug fixes for the wifi model
- G. Piro, N. Baldo and M. Miozzo, An LTE module for the ns-3 network simulator, in Proceedings of the Workshop on NS-3 (held in conjunction with SIMUTools 2011), Barcelona, Spain, March 2011.
- N. Baldo, M. Requena, J. Núñez, M. Portolés, J. Nin Guerrero, P. Dini, J. Mangues, Validation of the IEEE 802.11 MAC Model in the ns3 Simulator using the EXTREME Testbed, in Proceedings of the 3rd International ICST Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques (SIMUTools), 15-19 March 2010, Torremolinos, Malaga (Spain).
- N. Baldo, M. Miozzo, Spectrum-aware Channel and PHY layer modeling for ns3, in Proceedings of International Workshop on Network Simulation Tools (NSTOOLS 2009), 19 October 2009, Pisa (Italy).
- N. Baldo, M. Miozzo, M. Requena, J. Nin Guerrero, An Open Source Product-Oriented LTE Network Simulator based on ns-3, in Proceedings of the 14th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWIM 2011), 31-4 November 2011, Miami Beach, FL (USA).
- N. Baldo, M. Requena, J. Nin, M. Miozzo, A new model for the simulation of the LTE-EPC data plane, in Proceedings of the Workshop on ns-3 (WNS3 2012), Sirmione, Italy, 23 March 2012
- M. Mezzavilla, M. Miozzo, M. Rossi, N. Baldo, M. Zorzi, A Lightweight and Accurate Link Abstraction Model for System-Level Simulation of LTE Networks in ns-3, In Proceedings of the 15th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (ACM MSWIM 2012), Paphos (Cyprus Island), 21-25 October 2012.
- D. Zhou, N. Baldo, M. Miozzo, Implementation and Validation of LTE Downlink Schedulers for ns-3 , in Proccedings of Workshop on ns-3 (WNS3), March 5, 2013, in conjunction with the sixth International Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques (SIMUTools 2013), 5-7 March 2013, Cannes (France).